12 Simple Ways To Boost Your Self Esteem
The opinion you have of yourself can be affected by a number of things. Based on your personal experiences, your self esteem can change over time. Most of us tend to focus on our weaknesses rather than our strengths. If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will. Fortunately, there are easy ways to boost your self esteem and be more confident in yourself.
1. Take care of your personal appearance. Dressing nicely and grooming yourself are sure ways to boost your confidence. It’s also important to practice good oral hygiene. Take care of your smile, it is often the first thing people notice about you.
2. Be positive. Replace those negative thoughts with positive ones. Focus on the good things in your life. Recognize and embrace all your positive qualities. Make a list of all the qualities you love about yourself. This is a great way to boost your self esteem.
3. Kill negative thoughts. Look out for negative self-talk. When you catch yourself doing this try to immediately disregard those thoughts.
4. Get to know yourself. When it comes to low self esteem, you are your worst enemy. Start writing out your thoughts in a journal and analyze why you have these negative thoughts. Then list the positive things, like things you’re good at. List your limitations and think about whether these limitations are real or if you’ve set them there artificially.
5. Fake it till you make it. Start thinking positive thoughts and in turn, you will start to feel positive. When you start acting positive, you will see a change in your self confidence.
6. Treat others as you want to be treated. Be kind to others and treat them how you would want to be treated. Share your time and what you have with others and you will notice an improvement in your self esteem.
7. Trust that you are competent. Remind yourself of all the challenges you’ve accomplished. Believe in your ability to overcome hardships. Make a mental note of all your accomplishments no matter how small they are.
8. Stand tall. Simply changing your posture and standing straight can have a positive effect on your self confidence. People who stand tall and are confident are more attractive.
9. Set goals for yourself. Many people try to set goals that are unattainable often end up disappointed. Start out by setting achievable goals for yourself, then achieve them. This will make you feel better about yourself. As time goes on, you’ll be able to set bigger goals for yourself and actually achieve them.
10. Exercise. Exercising releases endorphins which put you in a great mood. Not only will exercising impact you physically, but it will help you mentally as well.
11. Learn something new everyday. Empower yourself with knowledge. By becoming more knowledgeable you will become more confident. Learn from people who are doing what you want to do, read books, or just surf the internet.
12. Do something you’ve been putting off. You know that task you’ve been procrastinating for months? Do it! Checking things off your to-do list will make you feel better about yourself.
Only you have the power to control how you feel about yourself. Use these tips to take control of your life and your self esteem.
Trisha Banks is a blogger for Lakeway Center for Cosmetic & Family Dentistry in Lakeway, Texas. Trisha wants to know how to improve self esteem.